Residential Services for Children & Youth
LSS provides treatment for youth who have significant mental health, emotional and behavioral issues. LSS also provides treatment for youth who cannot function in their home environments and are disruptive in their schools and communities. LSS provides 24-hour care for boys and girls ages 10 to 17 through two psychiatric residential treatment programs and one group care program. Locations and levels of care include:
- Canyon Hills Center, Spearfish, and Summit Oaks Center, Sioux Falls, are psychiatric residential treatment facilities.
- New Beginnings Center, Aberdeen, is a group care facility.
Family Involvement & Aftercare Services
Family services include counseling, home visits, transitional services and aftercare. Transition/discharge planning starts at placement and is continually reviewed. Family contact is enhanced through the use of video conferencing and other internet-based video communications.
- Group and individual counseling
- Psychiatric, psychological and health services
- Evidence-based programming
- Love and Logic® caregiver model
- Recreational activities and community outings
- Independent living skills training
- Community service and volunteer opportunities
- Cultural opportunities
- Spiritual opportunities
- Family counseling and involvement activities
- Transition services
- Availability of specialized medical/mental health services
- Day treatment program
- Substance abuse programming
- Accredited regular and special education programs on campus
- Community educational opportunities