Residential Services for Children & Youth
Who We Serve & Referrals
Last year, LSS served 254 children through residential treatment and group care facilities. Following are some interesting facts about those who we serve.
- Of the children served in residential treatment and group care last year, 36% were boys and 64% were girls.
- 36% of those served are Native American, 53% Caucasian, 4% denote other nationalities and 7% did not disclose.
- The average length of stay at a LSS residential center will vary depending on the child's specific needs.
At New Beginnings in Aberdeen, a group care facility, the average length of stay is approximately four to six months.
Canyon Hills in Spearfish and Summit Oaks in Sioux Falls are both psychiatric residential treatment facilities. The average length of stay at these centers is approximately 9 months to 1 year.
Children are referred to LSS residential centers through a variety of ways.
- Department of Corrections 31%
- Department of Social Services 20%
- non-state custody/parent 18%
- Bureau of Indian Affairs 15%
- education system/parent 10%
- out of state referrals 5%
- county referrals 1%